Sweetgrass Creative Designs

I am a quilt artist and quilting teacher, living in Shelby, Montana. I design and teach traditional patchwork designs, but I also dabble in art quilts, and am game to try any new technique I find. This blog will probably become a journal of sorts, and my goal is to post some new little piece at least monthly, though I'm hoping it will be more like weekly. I'm not promising ART, mind you, just fun little experiments that may or may not be artistic.

Name:
Location: Shelby, Montana, United States

Wednesday, June 17, 2009



Color, Color Everywhere!

If I had a nickel for every time someone has asked me where my quilt design ideas come from, I'd be able to quit my day job and perhaps get some of my UFO's finished!

The other day I was driving down the street, minding my own business, when I passed our local car dealership (It's a very small town, so we only have the one) and there on the lot were four cars side-by-side. One was a brightish brick red, the next a deep teal blue, then a burnt orange SUV next to a champagne colored sedan. Now that's a combination I will have to use in a quilt...someday!

Great color combinations are all around, if we just stop to notice. Our True Value Hardware store's paint section has sample cards that show a finished room, with chips of the paints used. I have found color inspiration in restaurant and hotel decors, too. There are people whose job it is to design great color combinations, so let them work for you, too.

I found a great website- http://www.colorjack.com/ . It has a wall of color tiles, and as you drag your mouse across the screen, it reveals a color combination for each tile. What fun!


Or you could just open a bag of M&M's.
My kind of inspiration!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home