Sweetgrass Creative Designs

I am a quilt artist and quilting teacher, living in Shelby, Montana. I design and teach traditional patchwork designs, but I also dabble in art quilts, and am game to try any new technique I find. This blog will probably become a journal of sorts, and my goal is to post some new little piece at least monthly, though I'm hoping it will be more like weekly. I'm not promising ART, mind you, just fun little experiments that may or may not be artistic.

Name:
Location: Shelby, Montana, United States

Thursday, May 17, 2007


Dawn Deco

This may have been considered an "art quilt" back when it was started...in 1988. It's probably the oldest unfinished project I had in my stash. At least it's the oldest one I can document. It's finally finished because my quilt guild is holding a PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks) challenge this year, and because I was asked to hang a solo show at the Montana Storyteller's Conference last month. I decided to combine the two, and called the show "Unfinished Business". It wound up being a pretty good retrospective of my quilting journey to date.

Dawn Deco is about 24" square, machine pieced (that pink set-in point was soooooo much fun), and hand-quilted. The basic design came from an old art deco clip art book, as did the quilting design in the yellow circle. The quilting designs in the other shapes were my design.

I haven't completed much in the way of art quilts recently, which is not to say the sewing machine has been idle. I've been designing and teaching a tablerunner-of-the month series at my local shop. It's been quite popular, and I'm getting a lot of requests for the patterns. My friend and co-worker Reta Rae has been telling everyone I'm going to publish a book when the series is finished. Unfortunately, she is not offering to finance it.

In March, I taught a couple of classes and did a lecture on scrap quilts at the Montana State University College of Technology in Great Falls, and heard "do a class on that one next year" four or five times, and of course, I said yes before realizing just how much WORK that's going to be...and it's already just ten months away!

It hasn't been all work, though. I have finished two more little Cosmic Jumble quilts and have two more in progress. Of the two that are finished, one "works" and the other doesn't, in my opinion. Of the two in progress, one "works" and the other probably will, too. I hope to have them posted soon...of course, with me, soon could mean months!

In Stitches,

Anne

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Idaho Beauty said...

For as old as it is, it doesn't look terribly dated. Kudos to you for finally finishing it!

The quilting, by the way, is great...

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home