Sweetgrass Creative Designs

I am a quilt artist and quilting teacher, living in Shelby, Montana. I design and teach traditional patchwork designs, but I also dabble in art quilts, and am game to try any new technique I find. This blog will probably become a journal of sorts, and my goal is to post some new little piece at least monthly, though I'm hoping it will be more like weekly. I'm not promising ART, mind you, just fun little experiments that may or may not be artistic.

Name:
Location: Shelby, Montana, United States

Wednesday, September 27, 2006


Cosmic Jumbles

The Hewlett Packard company ran a series of television commercials a few years ago with the tag line "At Hewlett Packard, we never stop asking, What If." That, in two words, pretty much sums up my approach to quilting and design. This little quilt is a good example.

Last summer I took a class with Ricky Tims (Harmonic Convergence), and he taught us the niftiest little trick for sewing 1/4" borders. Well, one gloomy Sunday afternoon recently, I came across a bunch of 4 1/2" squares leftover from another project, and wondered what if I sewed them together, then cut them and put in 1/4" sashing strips. Not bad, I think. The photo really doesn't do the poor thing justice, but you get the idea. When you see it in person, there's really a lot of depth to it.

This was a commercially printed fabric. I mean to try the technique with a couple of commercial batik FQ's I have, and with fabric I've painted myself to see if it's a real technique or just a lucky break. (See, this is my problem- I just can't leave well enough alone! )

PS- Thank you for the spur, and the compliment, Wittering Rainbow! I'm not sure I can handle the pressure of having a fan (especially one whose own blog is filled with such wonderful stuff), so may I just consider you a friend?

Anne

3 Comments:

Blogger The WestCountryBuddha said...

I love the colours in this - right up my street - they're very vibrant and rich and the piece is very harmonious. Blogging is a funny thing and I get times - like now - when I go off the boil a bit, but I'm glad you're back. Absolutely delighted to be considered a friend! Thank you.

12:16 AM  
Blogger margaret said...

and "what if" the sashing was wavy...

7:29 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

I love what you have done with this quilt. I read a way to make quarter inch strips in a book about Bargello quilting. It looks great on this quilt.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home